I so subscribe to the unwritten rule about unworn clothes and personal items when it comes to Spring cleaning. The deal is…if the item wasn’t worn during the past 2 seasons, get rid of it, right?
Seems that every year I go through a rationalization process that overtakes my ability to think clearly and “cleanly”. It’s the broken record of excuses that sings; “It didn’t fit quite right last year, maybe I lost a pound or two since then.” or ”Maybe it’s come back in style now” or “It’s a classic! I can’t possibly part with this piece.”
Whatever the excuse, we find ways to overload our clothing storage sanctuaries with apparel we know we aren’t really going to grace the public with…that cute dress that’s way too short for your age…the pants that make your butt look like Secretariat’s from the Kentucky Derby or even that glitter top someone gave you as a gift that reminds you of the disco ball scene from Saturday Night Fever. And don’t forget the handbags, scarves and sandals!
The thing is, starting fresh is a good thing. That’s why they call it Cleaning! Here’s why Spring Cleaning is important:
1. Makes Room for the New You! You free up space to buy new stuff (ooh, sounds like a shopping spree)
2. Empowerment- You clear out the mental clutter too when you take control. This sacred exercise helps you to clear out unwanted, unproductive cloth memories –apparel purchased purely out of emotions. You’re better than whatever drove you to make that spontaneous purchase.
3. Cleaning that space means you’re proactively adopting a fresh, wholesome quality. You’re removing the crab grass and preparing your soil for growth and new goals. Out with the old and in with the new, baby!
4. Dress someone else. There are women in your neighborhood or the next town over, struggling financially, professionally and spiritually. Donate gently worn or new clothing to an organization like Dress for Success or the Salvation Army. There are thousands of men, women and children who need what you don’t want.
5. Treasure Chest – I can’t tell you how many times I’ve actually uncovered a treasure in my closet….something I thought I’d lost or simply forgot about, that had real value. It could have been in that small corner pocket of a jacket with huge shoulder pads or buried at the bottom of the front flap of a pocketbook. I knew I was meant to find it again.
6. Jumpstart your new body image by visualizing how you want to look vs. how you look today.
This is a “me time” project you’ll be proud to have completed.
REINVENT YOURSELF at ANY AGE
NBC's Today Show asks
Neero & Ana's CEO how she did it. Watch below.
BEAUTY MISTAKES THAT AGE YOU
Click the Dr. Oz button to reveal how you may be aging yourself by mistake.
Neero & Ana's CEO shows one beauty secret that will take years off your look.......
Sites We Love