I had a long talk with my mirror this morning. I told her I wanted to see some improvements around here immediately - and we may as well start with cellulite. Rather than just accept that it's there...I wanted to find out if there was anything I could do to prevent it from getting worse. After all, my mirror and I didn't leave each other on good terms this morning. My goal is to improve our relationship.
What is Cellulite?Cellulite is caused by fat deposits just below the skin's surface. It's a condition that picks and chooses its victims it seems, because even skinny people can have it. Lack of exercise, hormones and of course, your diet all play a part in the degree of your dimples.
We can proactively make some changes in our lives to enhance our appearance. First, foods to avoid:
Foods to Eat More Of:
- Sugar- That yummy sweetener gets stored in fat cells, causing them to expand. Personally, it's a huge challenge for most, including moi. Goal: no more than 6 teaspoons per day
- Salt - Sodium causes fluid retention and makes cellulite look worse. Fluid retention means you may appear bloated or swollen. Goal: no more than 200 mg of sodium per day
I"m getting serious today about my appearance (really) .
- Kelp - A natural plant derivative that helps the body burn fat.
- Flax Seeds - A tasty seed easy to find in grocery stores. Sprinkle in cereal, yogurt, shakes. It strengthens the skin so you sag a little less
- Water - If you're not drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day...I don't even want to talk to you. Water flushes out and cleanses everything - outside and in (and yes, even down there).
Spring and summer bring out the best in us - not only in fashion and apparel, but for fingers and toes. We love what's happening in the pedi marketplace this year....bright, candy colored, metallic and muted shades are topping the polish charts - and I'm ready! If there's only one beauty routine that my usual 'conservative self' relishes testing the limits on and get "giggy" with is in the pedi section. After all....my professional collegues will never see the fun stuff I do to my toes unless I grant them permission, so why not go all the way!?
We found some fun and fresh pedi color ideas and wanted to share them with you. There are a few rules before you get the paint brush out:
1. Remove dry, callous skin around heels. Crusty feet ARE NOT attractive. Purchase a good pumice stone to exfoliate feet along with a foot repair cream to slather on day & night.
2. CUT YOUR TOENAILS!! I've actually seen toenails so long they leave skid marks on the sidewalk
3. Get the right size sandal. Feet hanging over a too short sandal is not a good look.
For more over-the-top ideas... check out Instyle.com; bellasugar.com; harpersbazaar.com; glamour.com and I'll be watching you......
I was walking down the streets of Manhattan during a normal work day last week, observing the colorful species of men & women within my field of vision. Directly in front of me walked a pretty, curvy 20-ish young lady of maybe latino descent. What was particularly exclusive about this woman was the structure of her body.....teeny, tiny waist and a caboose that looked like two 22-lb. bowling balls. Her striking figure spared nothing to the imagination with the skin-tight jeans she poued herself into.
The sidewalk quickly became the Greatest Show on Earth.
Men stopped what they were doing, saying, eating, breathing to turn and watch this poor young thing walk by. Some even changed their stride to walk beside her and whisper sweet "nothings" in her ear. She was completely unfaised. Men from everywhere whistled, cackled, called-out and commented (even if only in their heads).
This all made me wonder if having a knock out body is really a compliment or a curse. Are you asking for real trouble if you flaunt your assets? Does this all mean that I need to look like a librarian forever (no offense against librarians, thank you)?
What do you think?
We did a little research to see what folks around the world thought about cat-calling in point blank. Is it harmless or harassment? CNN
has reported on the subject and Hollerback.com
is the official place to voice your complaints about the bothersome habits of men.
Share yoru thoughts.....
Spring is in the air and oh, what havoc winter wreaked on our hair! To gradually start getting in step for the breezy, balmy warmer weather, here are 5 things you should do now.
1. Brush It Out
Toss out old hair brushes & combs. Get a new paddle brush for wet hair, a wide toothed comb for tangled hair and a fine tooth comb for gentle hair parting when styling. Real Simple Magazine tests & reviews the best for your hair and purpose.
Really clean your hair. If you’re not using a clarifying shampoo, perhaps you should. Product build-up from the winter can weigh hair down and cause it to misbehave. You’ll wind up using more product & heat just to get a style. Soon, you’ll have no
3. Build Protein & Muscle
Hair is made up of protein and much of it is lost once we begin to highlight, color, straighten and strip hair of natural protein. Protein based products add a strong shine and healthy radiance to your mane. Ask your stylist for her recommendation on
great over-the-counter protein shampoos/conditioners.
4. Interview the Right Candidate
Find the right stylist. If your professional stylist isn’t giving you good advice about the condition of your hair, along with at-home remedies you can implement….find another stylist! Your hair professional should be doing more than just “doing your hair”.
Shop around until you've found one who truly cares about you!
5. Fresh Ends
Make an appointment with your stylist to get those frizzy, winter ends clipped. Extended wear of woolen hats and scarves can cause hair ends to split and fray. Clipped ends add weight and depth to hair without sacrificing length. You can decide on a new summer hairstyle soon. For now, clean up what you have.
I'm not necessarily a slave to the latest seasonal trends... I don't need to shop until I drop....I can't justify spending my entire Spring tax return check on shoes that I know I can't even walk in. Truth be told, I've got some shoe boxes in my closet from last season- unopened, unworn and still waiting for a grand entrance.
But let's face it girls, we all need a little "feel good" token to usher in the 2013 fun & frollic season. So, here are the best pics from Style.com we found. Happy dancing!
The calendar on my wall shows that today is March 20th and the first day of Spring. So, quite naturally, just by the mere sound of the word, I've conjured up images of lightweight, breezy dresses and skirts, short leather jackets, heels & toes on display. Mmmm....don't you just love the very thought of playful gatherings, seductive outdoor cafes and romantic boatrides the warmer weather commands?
Pow! It's actually 28 degrees outside my door right now and reality has quickly settled in. The seasonal title "Spring" is but a tease. The bad news: Today I'll be wearing gloves, boots, a hat, heavy coat and scarf. The good news: I've still got time for a few more lunges, crunches and bicep curls before I shed it all. Whew!
Saw a lot of movies over the past 6 months and was excitedly compelled to watch the Oscars last night. Let's face it.. it's pretty hard to understand what all the hoopla is about when you're clueless about the flicks being mentioned.
Of course, there was the usual Hollywood curiosity of superficial fluff....the gowns, the speeches, the bling...who sat with whom, who tripped going up the stairs, who could have worn a bigger size dress... ooh! aah!
True magic for me are the confessional testiments of trials and triumphs for these celebrity icons. We all admire the gltiz and glamour, but often forget that it's an uphill battle to retain sanity while your dreaming. It's a precious miracle when you share your vision and folks don't think your crazy. It's an absolute blessing when friends, colleagues, family members actually venture out to support you. And who picks you up when you fall? Ben Affleck said it best during his acceptance speech for Picture of Year - Argo. It's a phrase we hear all the time, yet it seemed like the first time when Ben said it...." It's not how many times you fall that counts. It's how many times you keep getting back up", or something like that. Anyway...you get the picture.
What's your take?
Seems like Christmas and the whole New Year's hoopla was eons ago, right? Shockingly folks, it was just last month...a few slim weeks ago. If you made any Resolutions for the New Year, it's probably a good time to consciously review how your doing.
I started to think about the habits I committed to change....the folks I wanted to release from my circle and the projects I kept saying I wanted to complete....you know the ones that make you sound like a whiny, broken down, bootlegged , 8-track tape that's scratchy and annoying....but you keep listening to it.
Although I've made progress, I must admit, I've got a long ways to go. I love these times, however, when something jars my spirit enough to take my pulse and examine how far I've moved from where I was, to where I really want to be. For me, my goals and aspirations are better charted and reviewed on paper than thought up in this mish-mosh of a brain.
To help you stay on track.....print out our Resolution Progress Tracker. We'll check back in with you soon.
The hoopla of yesterdays Superbowl Game still resonates in the Monday air. The Baltimore Ravens from the East nailed the trophy with pure skill, determination and drooling hunger. They could taste their win as soon as the locker room door burst open at kick-off. And even after the unexpected hiccup in near darkness when the lights in the stadium disappeared, this mighty team came back to snatch up the ultimate prize.
There are lessons to be learned here, ladies (and gents).
Although the name "raven" might not sound so pretty, I was curious about why this particular bird deserves to be in the big leagues. Here are a few "hmmm" facts about them that jiggled a little juice in my Gatorade tank:
Today is your Super Bowl. Kick the @#! out of your mental enemy and don't stop running until you've reached your end zone. Touchdown!
- Ravens are among the smartest of birds with a reputation of solving complicated problems. I'm reinventing myself every single day - just like you! The challenges in your life are created by you. Whatever it is - think of it as an exercise in boldness and power. You're brilliant... now show it!
- The sooty birds are known for being incredible acrobatic fliers. Think about how many tricks, dips and somersaults you do everyday to overcome adversity, naysayers, hurdles and your own "stinking thinking". And if one day isn't a winning day, you get another chance tomorrow to exude confidence and kick anything that doesn't help you get where you need to be - to the sidelines. Come on, now.....stop whining and take back what belongs to you.
- When they find a carcass, ravens call others to the table to chow down too. How often do you reach out to help someone else without expecting anything in return? Today, vow not to think about your self and what troubles you, but focus on someone else....that person who needs you, but never seems to get enough time with you....someone who's been on your mind, but you haven't made time to connect with yet....you know what to do.
Let's face it... no one wants to be left out of a party that involves a room full of muscle-bound men. Super Bowl Sunday is less than a week away and if you want to fit in (and hold your own) you'll need to be in football "lingo" shape.
So ladies, we're gonna give you a couple of quick lessons to help you enjoy the testosterone, touchdowns and score a few points of your own.
ON THE LINE
TO-DO LIST Before Kick-Off
- The 47th Super Bowl is being played on Sunday, Feb. 3rd in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans. LA
- Teams: San Francisco 49'ers (red jerseys) and the Baltimore Ravens (purple jerseys) team up
- Half-time entertainment: Beyonce
- Kick-off starts at 6:30pm
Throw a few passes and get in on the game. Stay tuned in our huddle for real game rules, what to say, what not to say and how to be impressive at the party....